Serves 6–8 (unless you are naughty)
A naughty day surely must begin with chocolate, and a flourless chocolate cake is almost nothing but. The addition of espresso powder makes the chocolate taste even richer. This kind of cake will fall in the center as it cools.
- 1 cup sugar
- 6 eggs at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon espresso powder
- 6 ounces unsweetened chocolate, finely chopped
- 6 ounces semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, chopped
- Clotted cream and thickened cream for topping (recipe follows)
Preheat oven to 325°. Grease a 9-inch spring-form pan. Combine sugar, eggs, and espresso powder in an electric mixer. Whip for 15 minutes, or until eggs are very light and foamy. Meanwhile combine chocolates and butter in a double boiler and gently melt, stirring occasionally. Fold into egg mixture until just combined. Pour into prepared pan and bake for 1 hour and 10–20 minutes, or until a knife comes out clean. Cool completely on a rack. Cake may be made ahead and stored in an airtight container. Serve with clotted cream and thickened cream.