- 3 raw globe artichokes, cleaned
- 2 pounds heirloom tomatoes, cut into bite-size wedges
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 8 ounces arugula
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced fresh mint leaves
- 4 ounces goat cheese, fresh or soft ripened, crumbled or sliced into bite-size pieces
Remove all the dark, tough outer artichoke leaves and discard, until only the pale yellow and green leaves remain. Trim the dark green off of the stem and bottom of the artichoke. Cut each artichoke in half lengthwise, remove the little purple leaves, and scoop out the fuzzy choke. Using a paring knife, serrated knife, or mandoline slicer, carefully shave or very thinly slice everything that remains, starting with the flat side of each artichoke.
Place the artichokes in a bowl and add the tomatoes. Toss gently with the lemon juice and zest, oil, salt, and pepper. Let stand for 5 minutes.
Add the arugula, mint, and goat cheese and season with a touch more salt. Toss and serve.