This soup is rich and hearty, perfect for a chilly evening. It just needs a loaf of crusty bread to be complete.
- ¼ cup olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ cup fine ground cornmeal
- 1 14-ounce can chick peas, drained
- ½ cup grated Romano cheese
- 10 ounces frozen spinach, thawed
- Salt and pepper to taste
In a medium saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add garlic and sauté 1 minute, or until fragrant. Add 6 cups water and bring to a boil. Slowly whisk in cornmeal in a steady stream. Cook for 6–8 minutes, stirring, or until soup has thickened. Add chick peas, cheese, and spinach. Stir for an additional minute or two to allow the spinach to heat through. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve with additional olive oil.