This recipe gives a savory twist to pumpkin soup.
- 1 sugar pie pumpkin, skin on, seeded, and cut into 1 ½-inch chunks
- 3 sprigs rosemary
- 1 head garlic, unpeeled, separated into cloves
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for garnish
- ½ cup pepitas
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 6–8 cups vegetable stock
- Italian parsley, chopped for garnish
Preheat oven to 400°. Line a baking sheet with parchment and spread pumpkin evenly on it. Add rosemary and garlic cloves and season with salt and pepper. Roast for 40–45 minutes, or until tender. Remove from oven and let cool briefly.
Meanwhile, heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add pepitas, paprika, cayenne, and a pinch of salt. Cook, stirring, for 3–4 minutes, or until toasted and fragrant. Set aside.
Scrape skin from pumpkin and place in a large saucepan. Squeeze garlic cloves in as well. Discard rosemary. Add 6 cups stock and bring to a simmer. Puree with a stick blender, adding additional stock for desired thickness. Serve with pepitas, parsley, and a swirl of olive oil.