Yields 9–12 servings
- 1 cup rutabaga, (approximately 1 medium-sized rutabaga)
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup dark brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 large egg
- ¼ cup peanut, grapeseed, or vegetable oil
- ½ cup dark molasses
- ½ cup whole milk
- ¼ cup crystallized ginger, finely diced (optional)
Peel and grate rutabaga. In a medium bowl, combine dry ingredients. Stir in grated rutabaga. In a separate bowl, beat together egg, oil, molasses, and milk. Stir liquid into flour and rutabaga mixture. For a slightly sweeter and spicier version, add in crystallized ginger.
Pour into a greased 9×5-inch loaf pan or 8-inch square baking pan. Bake in a 350° oven 30–45 minutes (depending on pan shape and size) or until toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool on wire rack.
Adapted from a recipe created by Foodland Ontario, a Canadian government website supporting local farms and farmers.