This is one of my favorite dishes to make without a recipe. Good tuna, packed in olive oil is a constant, but I allow the seasons and my pantry to dictate what else goes in. It is also so easily adjusted from a dish that serves 1 to one that serves 10. Here is a list of my current favorite ingredients based on my late summer garden.
- Arugula or other green
- 1 can good-quality tuna packed in olive oil
- 1 hard-boiled egg, peeled and cut in quarters
- 1/2 cup chick peas
- 1/4 cup pitted olives
- Yellow wax beans, blanched and chilled
- Small potatoes, boiled until cooked through
- Diced cucumber
- Sliced Hungarian sweet peppers
- Cherry tomatoes
- Chopped fresh parsley
- Good-quality vinegar (I use homemade herb-infused)
- Salt and pepper to taste
For an individual serving, place a generous helping of greens on a plate and pile it with the remaining ingredients, including the oil from the tuna. Drizzle with vinegar. Season with lots of salt and pepper. When serving a crowd, assemble everything on a big serving platter, being as neat or as jumbled as you please.