Tossing these shaved raw vegetables with a lemon vinaigrette softens and slightly wilts them without sacrificing any zip.
- 1 pound asparagus spears, trimmed
- 1 fennel bulb, trimmed and cut in half
- 1/4 cup finely grated Parmesan plus more for shaving
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Zest of one half lemon
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Shave asparagus spears into long, thin shavings with a vegetable peeler. Slice fennel bulb on a mandolin. Place both in a medium bowl. Combine grated Parmesan and lemon juice in a small bowl and slowly whisk in oil until well blended. Stir in zest and season with salt and pepper. Drizzle vinaigrette over vegetables and toss to coat. Shave more Parmesan over salad.