- 2 1⁄2 cups rhubarb, diced small
- 1 1⁄2 cups strawberries, cut into quarters
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
- Pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Pastry for a 9-inch pie shell and top
Preheat oven to 400°. Mix rhubarb and strawberries with sugar, tapioca, salt and lemon peel. Let sit for 10 minutes to macerate.
Turn fruit mixture into pastry-lined pan. Cut butter into tiny pieces and dot over the fruit. (Optional: Use a small cookie cutter to cut vents into top pastry.) Top with the pastry, trim the edges and crimp the 2 shells together with thumb and forefinger or the tines of a fork to seal.
Bake at 400° for 20 minutes, and then reduce the heat to 350° and cook for 35 minutes longer. Keep a close eye on the crust’s edges for browning, and cover with pie shield or aluminum foil if it is browning too quickly.
Serve warm with vanilla ice cream.