This is a vibrant, flavorful Middle Eastern dish. It includes bulgur wheat, which is a healthy cereal grain high in fiber and essential to traditional tabouli recipes. Sometimes I switch the bulgur wheat for quinoa, which makes it a high protein meal.
- ½ cup cracked dry bulgur wheat
- 2 cups finely chopped parsley
- 2 cups finely chopped green onions
- ¼ cup finely chopped fresh mint
- 1 cup fine-to-medium chopped ripe tomatoes
- Wheat pita and romaine lettuce as a side
- ½ cup olive oil
- ½ cup lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon salt
Soak the bulgur wheat in 1 cup of boiled water, covered, for 15–35 minutes. Drain the excess water from the bulgur once it has expanded and fluff with a fork. Combine the bulgur with the rest of the ingredients in a large bowl. Whisk together the dressing ingredients and pour over the prepared tabouli. Serve on a bed of romaine lettuce with a side of toasted wheat pita.