Makes 1 pint
- 8 teaspoons yellow mustard seed
- 8 teaspoons brown mustard seed
- ½ cup amber ale (or similar)
- 2 tablespoons sorghum molasses
- ⅔ cup apple, peeled and diced
- 1¼ teaspoons ground ginger
- ½ teaspoons thyme, dried
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- 2/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup ice water
Combine ale, sorghum, apple, spices, and salt in a small saucepan. Pour vinegar into a nonreactive container large enough to hold the total volume of ingredients. Combine yellow and brown mustard seeds in a small bowl.
The next step depends on what level of spiciness you desire in your finished mustard: For mild spice, add all of the mustard seed to the mixture in the saucepan. For medium, add half the mustard seed in the saucepan, and the other half into the vinegar. For crazy hot, add all the mustard seed in the vinegar.