Fried rice dumplings
- 3 1/2 pounds glutinous rice
- 8 tablespoons oil
- 5 shallots (minced)
- 5 cloves garlic (minced)
- 4 ounces dried shrimp (soaked and drained)
- 2 1/2 tablespoons dark soy sauce
- 5 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon five-spice powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon MSG (optional)
- 1 3/4 pounds pork belly (sliced)
- 8 ounces dried chestnuts (soaked and drained)
- 20 pieces Chinese mushroom (soaked and chopped)
- 1/2 tablespoon dark soy sauce
- 1/2 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon MSG (optional)
Before you start, be sure to soak rice for at least 4 hours. Rinse and drain.
Heat oil in a wok, add shallots, garlic, and dried shrimp and stirfry over medium heat until fragrant. Add rice and remaining seasonings, keep stirring until rice is very hot and aromatic.
Combine all ingredients for the filling in a small bowl.
Take 2 pieces of bamboo leaves, fold into a cone, then add in 2 tablespoons of fried rice, add filling, and top with more rice. Wrap into a pyramid shape and tie with string. Repeat.
Boil dumplings over medium heat for at least 4 hours. Remove, drain, and serve.
Wrapping: String and Bamboo leaf (soak until softened and pat dry)