Eggs poached in a spicy tomato sauce served with pita
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili flakes (more if you like a lot of spice, you can also use sriracha sauce to taste)
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 3–4 cloves fresh garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- Kosher salt and pepper to taste
- 8 eggs
- 1/2 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 tablespoon chopped flat leaf
- parsley, cilantro or chives
- Warm pitas, for serving
In a large sauté pan over medium-high heat add olive oil, chili flakes, and onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until onions are sweated and clear. Add garlic, cumin, and smoked paprika, and cook, stirring frequently, until garlic is soft, about 2 more minutes.
Add the can of crushed tomatoes. Reduce heat and simmer until the sauce thickens. If sauce gets too thick, add a little water. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Crack eggs over the tomato sauce. Cover and poach the eggs in the sauce. Finish with feta cheese and parsley, cilantro, or chives. I also use Parmesan. Serve with warm pita.