Makes 12-18 servings
- 2 head red or green cabbage, cored and hand cut into thin strips
- 4 medium carrots, peeled and grated through large holes on box grater
- 1 bunch green onions, green and white parts cut at an angle into thin strips
- Large handful of dandelion greens or arugula, cut into thin strips
- 1 ½ cup cider vinegar
- 4–5 tablespoons honey
- 3 tablespoons coarse salt
- Pepper and lemon zest to taste
Combine salt and cabbage in a large bowl, roughly handling cabbage to break it down. Let cabbage sit 20–30 minutes to release liquid.
In a separate bowl, mix cabbage water, vinegar, and honey, and reintroduce the mixture, the carrot, and the green onion to the shredded cabbage. Mix in the dandelion greens or arugula, and add pepper and lemon zest to taste. Add salt if necessary.
Can be enjoyed right away or left to sit for several hours.