Uniquely Moroccan, this combination is terrific atop crostini or served as a salad atop lettuce leaves for the salad. Look for preserved lemons in Middle Eastern food shops.
Serves 4 to 6
- 1 baguette, sliced and toasted
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 pound ground cherries, husks removed and halved
- 1 ripe avocado, peeled, seeded and diced
- 2 teaspoons diced preserved lemon rind
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 6 basil leaves, cut into thin ribbons, for garnish
Slice the baguette on a diagonal. In a small bowl, combine the oil and the garlic. Brush each slice with the oil mixture. Arrange on a baking sheet and toast at 375°F for 8 minutes or until lightly browned. Allow to cool.
Combine the ground cherries, avocado, lemon rind and salt in a medium bowl. Set aside for about an hour to allow flavors to meld. When ready to serve, top each baguette slice with the ground cherry mixture, garnish lightly with the basil ribbon and serve.