A classic southern Italian staple that is satisfying every time.
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped carrot
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 15-ounce cans cannellini beans, undrained
- 8 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ pound elbow macaroni (preferably whole wheat)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Romano or Parmesan cheese for serving
In a large stockpot, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion, carrot, and celery. Sauté for 8–10 minutes, or until softened and beginning to brown. Add tomato paste and garlic. Cook for 2 minutes. Add beans, stock, and bay leaf. Bring to a boil and cook for 5–10 minutes to allow flavors to combine. Add pasta and cook 10 additional minutes, or until al dente. Season to taste and remove bay leaf. Serve topped with cheese.