- 3 pounds old rye bread, cut into large pieces
- 2 pounds mushrooms (chef suggests Killbuck Valley oyster mushrooms for a local feel)
- 1 white onion, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, finely chopped
- 4 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 bottle Great Lakes Brewing Co. Edmund Fitzgerald Porter
- 6 eggs + 3 egg whites
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
In a large saucepan sauté onion, celery, and carrot in the olive oil until soft (about 4 minutes). Add mushrooms, stock, and beer. Bring to a boil. Then reduce to a simmer until liquid is reduced by half. Allow mixture to cool.
In a large mixing bowl combine eggs, egg whites, and bread with the veggie stock mixture.
Transfer stuffing to a 2-inch baking pan. Cover with foil and cook in oven for 30 minutes at 350°. Remove foil and cook another 10–15 minutes to brown the top.
Serve with a pot roast or use to stuff your Thanksgiving turkey.