- 6 large portobello mushrooms, or 12 large crimini mushrooms, wiped clean with stems removed
- 6 tablespoons dry sherry
- ¼ cup butter
- 1 pound assorted wild mushrooms, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage
- ½ cup dry unseasoned bread crumbs
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
- Salt and pepper to taste
Preheat oven to 450°. Place portobellos gill side up on a greased baking sheet. Season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon sherry in each (or a half tablespoon if using crimini). Set aside. Melt butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add chopped mushrooms, onion, celery, and sage. Cook, stirring, 5 minutes, or until lightly browned and mushrooms have given up their liquid. Stir in bread crumbs and parsley. Season to taste. Divide stuffing among the portobello mushrooms and press into mounds. Bake for 15–20 minutes, or until mushrooms are tender.
With mushrooms upon mushrooms, this recipe creates an elegant side dish that is packed with flavor.