This classic southern French stew freezes and reheats well.
Makes about 12 cups
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, chopped
- ⅓ cup red wine
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon bouquet garni or herbes de Provence
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 28-ounce cans diced tomatoes
- 1 large eggplant, cubed
- 2 red peppers, cut in ½-inch dice
- 2 zucchini or summer squash, cut in ½-inch dice
- 1 15-ounce can chick peas, drained
- Salt and pepper to taste
Place the metal liner to a slow cooker over medium heat and add oil and onions. Saute for 3–4 minutes, or until softened. Stir in garlic. Add wine, tomato paste, and herbs. Cook 3–4 minutes, or until liquid is mostly gone. Add remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Transfer to the slow cooker and cook on low for 8 hours or high for 4 hours. Season to taste with salt and pepper.