Serves 4 as a side dish
Here I am highlighting vegetables available in the winter in Ohio, but this technique works any time of year. The intense heat held in the cast iron makes the best roasted vegetables ever.
- 1 pound fingerling potatoes, cut in half
- ½ pound carrots, cut in large dice
- ½ pound turnips, cut in large dice
- ½ pound winter squash, peeled, seeded and cut in large dice
- 1 large red pepper, cut in large dice
- 1 large red onion, peeled and cut in large dice
- ¼ cup olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh flat leaf parsley
Preheat oven to 450°. Combine vegetables in a large bowl and toss with oil. Season well with salt and pepper. Place in a 12-inch cast iron skillet and roast, turning occasionally for 1 hour, or until vegetables are cooked through and browned. Top with chopped parsley.