- 2 cups (gently packed) rose petals from pesticide-free roses
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons superfine sugar
- 3 cups cold water
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 cup brut or extra-dry champagne or sparkling wine
- 1 tablespoon rose water for a more intense flavor (optional)
Process the rose petals with the sugar in a food processor until the mixture turns into a smooth paste—about 30 seconds, stopping to scrape the sides down as necessary. Add 1⁄2 cup of the water and process for about 10 seconds. Add the remaining 21⁄2 cups water, the lemon juice, champagne and rose water if using. Pour the liquid through a fine sieve. Freeze the mixture in an ice cream maker according to manufacturer’s instructions.