Many schools have strict policies on what cannot be packed in lunches, including nuts. This energy bar recipe fits into the guideline, although we couldn’t resist offering nut-based variations.
Makes 64 1-inch squares
- ½ cup tahini or sun butter
- ½ cup mixed dried fruit, such as raisins or cherries
- ¼ cup pepitas, unsalted
- ¼ cup flax seeds
- ¼ cup sunflower seeds, unsalted
- ¼ cup chia seeds
- 10 dates, pitted and finely chopped
- 5 figs, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
Line an 8×8 pan with parchment paper. Set aside. In a large bowl, combine all ingredients. Turn out into prepared pan and press firmly with moistened fingers. Refrigerate uncovered for about an hour. Cut into squares and store, layered in waxed paper in an airtight container in the fridge.
Variations: Nut butters can be substituted for seed butters • Chopped nuts can be used instead of some of the seeds • ¼ cup unsweetened coconut can be added