Makes 4 cups
These two early spring crops combine to make a peppery pesto that is great on pasta, chicken, or fi sh. I tend to use about a tablespoon per serving.
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1/8 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
- 8 cups (packed) baby spinach
- 4 cups (packed) arugula
- 1/4 cup toasted pine nuts
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup grated Romano cheese
- Salt to taste
Combine garlic, lemon zest, and crushed red pepper in processor. Blend until garlic is finely chopped. Add spinach, arugula, pine nuts, and lemon juice. Process until a coarse puree forms. With machine running, gradually add oil in thin stream and blend until almost smooth. Transfer to a bowl, stir in cheese and season with salt. Extra can be frozen in small bags for later use.