- 1 bunch swiss chard, deveined
- 2 sweet potatoes, cut into chunks
- 2 tablespoons oil (optional)
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 bunch kale, cut into ribbons
- 1 cup pepitas (aka pumpkin seeds), roasted for 15 minutes with salt and 1 teaspoon cumin
- ¼ cup lime juice
- 2 tablespoons cumin powder
- 4 tablespoons ancho chili powder
- 2 tablespoons agave nectar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup salsa of your choice
Fill a medium stockpot with water and bring to a boil. While the water is heating, devein the swiss chard and prepare a bowl with an ice bath. Once water boils, submerge the chard for 10 seconds and then place chard in the ice bath—keep hot water in pot. Remove chard after 30 seconds and place it on a baking sheet with some paper towels to dry off.
Place sweet potatoes in boiling water (add salt) and heat until tender. Drain sweet potatoes and set aside. Place oil and onions in the pot and sauté for a few minutes until tender. Then add kale. Once these are cooked, put in the sweet potatoes and mash the mixture together. Add ¾ cup pepitas, lime juice, cumin, ancho, and agave. Add salt and pepper to taste and add more chili powder if needed.
Take your swiss chard “shells” and lay them out horizontally. Put a spoonful of the sweet potato mix on the end and roll them up. Sprinkle with pepitas and top with salsa.