Thickened with peanut butter, this hearty vegetarian stew is filling and packed with vitamins.
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and diced into ½-inch cubes
- 1 quart vegetable broth
- 2 15-ounce cans chick peas, with liquid
- 1 28-ounce can diced tomatoes
- ⅓ cup natural peanut butter
- ½ pound kale or collards, cut in thin ribbons
- Salt to taste
In a large pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions and sauté for 5–7 minutes, or until lightly browned. Add cumin and cayenne. Stir well and cook for 1 minute. Add remaining ingredients, except kale or collards and salt. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low. Cover, and simmer for 30 minutes, or until sweet potatoes are tender. Add kale after first 15 minutes of cooking. Season to taste with salt.